19 Sept 2017

Collection Addiction #1


Collection Addiction #1
Collection Addiction is a new segment of TONEwood in which I will journal my own finds and purchases in music. Feel free to comment on my terrible taste and/or post photos of your own recent purchases and finds!


This week I purchased:

Static-X: Beneath Between Beyond (CD)
This one was a manner of closing a gap. I still need Start A War, but I have the remaining Static-X albums that I'm interested in (i.e. not Cult of Static)

Vallenfyre: A Fragile King (CD)
Got hooked on Vallenfyre when Splinters came out, but I've lacked A Fragile King for a few years. Good stuff. Easy enough to come by, but I didn't get around to getting it before now.

Six Feet Under: Haunted (CD)
The good ol' SFU debut. Hot off of Cannibal Corpse, Chris Barnes had something to prove, and that feeling is definitely conveyed on Haunted (more so than their later efforts). I have precious few SFU albums in my collection. I've just never really prioritised getting them.

Running Wild: Under Jolly Roger (CD)
This is my first album from Rock n' Rolf. I'm actually more of a Death or Glory kind of guy, but I couldn't pass this up at a good price. More shall follow, I trust.

Type O Negative: Bloody Kisses (2CD)
It's not until rather recently that I got hooked on TON. I remember hearing My Girlfriend's Girlfriend a long time ago, but then never really paying them any mind until I stumbled upon Black No. 1. At this point in time, my only other album from Type O Negative is October Rust.

Morbid Angel: Heretic (CD)
Morbid Angel: Gateways to Annihilation (CD)
Morbid Angel: Formulas Fatal to the Flesh (CD)
Just a matter of closing gaps with these three albums. I've had Altars, Blessed, Covenant and Domination for quite a while but never really got around to getting these. Good to finally have these, but looking forward to completing the collection with just a few more additions. And maybe all of them on vinyl too, some day. One can only hope.

Katatonia: Viva Emptiness (CD)
This one has been missing from my collection for too long and I finally got it. It's not that it's hard to get at all, but for some reason something always came in the way. Definitely one of my favourite Katatonia albums, so cool to finally have it.

Katatonia: Night is the New Day (CD)
Another step closer to finishing my Katatonia collection. Still have a few holes here and there, but this will keep me occupied for long enough. Good late-career album too!



A few words on my shopping habits
With precious few physical music stores in my area - and even fewer ones that carry CDs, especially at good prices - it's not often that I get to shop CDs in a store. And rather than paying for insane shipping for one or two albums at a time, I usually wait for someone to sell out of his collection, often through Facebook, and then sift through that to look for albums I need. With CDs still going more and more out of style, they're getting quite cheap and easy to come by. With classic albums I like to buy used because A: It's cheaper and I'm on a budget, and B: I feel as though bands probably don't get a lot of money from legacy releases either. Newer albums I tend to buy from new.

That's it for this installment. The next segments will come whenever I get new stuff worth posting. Smaller hauls will likely get thrown together for one larger post.


My collection on Discogs
Follow TONEwood on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment