27 Feb 2018

Collection Addiction #11


Collection Addiction #11
This seems like a  bigger lot because it's been amassing over the period of a few weeks/months. It's a mixture of presents, concert buys and a visit to the local record fair. I gotta say, it's been a long time since I checked out a proper record fair, and I recently came to remember why. Prices on 2nd hand vinyl are waaay through the roof, and the selection has gotten really boring.



I don't know if it's because all the good stuff has ended up in the homes of collectors, but it seems like all I ever come upon are the same records. Records that I'm not interested in, mind you. And the prices have really exploded lately. It's been a long time coming, obviously, but I feel as though it's been getting ridiculous over the last maybe 2 years or so. I see the same Accept and Scorpions records in EVERY damn stall, and they're all like 13 or 14€, no matter the condition. This feels like one of the less desirable effects that Discogs has on the vinyl market...

Tangerine Dream: Phaedra (Gatefold LP)
Tangerine Dream: Zeit (Gatefold 2LP)
Both these vinyls were pretty expensive by my standard, and the condition of the sleeves especially isn't even that great (Phaedra has some sort of major discolouration along the bottom of the sleeve as well as the usual shelf-wear, and Zeit has major shelf-wear as well as the spine being completely torn up). Buuut I've been looking for these for quite a while (and I prefer physically buying vinyls rather than buying them online), so I ended up grabbing both as well. With the addition of these two, I now have all Tangerine Dream studio albums from 1969 to 1982, missing only a few live records. These holes have awaited closing for far too long. At least the vinyls are in good condition!

The Byrds: Farther Along (Gatefold LP)
Gasolin: Gør Det Noget (Gatefold LP)
Both of these were christmas presents. It's always great to have a few classic rock records added, and especially The Byrds has been getting quite a few spins on the ol' turntable. Gasolin probably doesn't mean all that much to non-Danes, but were quite popular and influencial in Danish rock.

Bonobo: Migration (2xLP)
This album really took me for a ride. I've never been a huge fan of Bonobo's earlier material (although I appreciate it), but Migration is just so chuck full of atmosphere and feeling. There's something highly emotive about the many different compositions on the album, and though it's generally a pretty relaxed album, the mix between obvious electronics and down-played acoustic is just... wow. I'm not a fan of these "2 vinyls in one sleeve" kind of deals. Why not just make it a gatefold? I suppose this is the cheaper option, but gatefold sleeves are much more practical and nice looking... This album was my number 1 choice for best non-metal album of 2017.

The Southern Death Cult: S/T (LP)
This one I have actually been looking for for a while. I should probably do a full on review of this as it's an old favourite of mine, but here's the short version. SDC kinda-sorta became Death Cult, which then kinda-sorta became arena rock megastars The Cult. Or at least, Ian Astbury was the lead singer of all of them, and there's more than a few similarities in the instrumental department. Described at the time as positive punk, SDC (although VERY short lived; This "LP" is merely a collection of random tracks and sessions) comes of as a melodic death rock/gothic band not entirely unlike stuff like The Mission or Sisters of Mercy.

Apocrypha: The Forgotten Scroll (LP)
This is the debut of just three albums that Las Vegas power-thrashers Apocrypha managed to put out. Compared to the likes of Sanctuary, Agent Steel, Helstar and whatever, they're perhaps not quiiite as polished, but The Forgotten Scroll is a pretty competent album. They're not very different from the rest of the whole USPM scene, but they've certainly contributed to the sound.

Dirt Forge: Soothsayer (Tape)
This was a recent concert buy. As a tape enthusiast, I feel like I should do my best to support bands that put out their material on cassettes, and it certainly helps when the band is as good as Dirt Forge. They're somewhere in the vicinity of stoner metal and sludge, but it's not really that simple. Especially the B-side of this tape features some real bangers, and it's a great album altogether.

Motörhead - March or Die (CD)
Motörhead have made so many great and completely irreplacable albums over the years, but March or Die is actually among my favourites. At the very least you should already know the track Hellraiser!

Deicide - Insineratehymn (CD)
The infamous "get out of that contract" album from Deicide. It's not really all that good, but being a dirty, filthy completionist I of course have to have it. At least it wasn't at all expensive!

Illdisposed - There's Something Rotten... In the State of Denmark (CD)
Illdisposed are basically Danish death metal royalty, but as I've grown older their basic songwriting has begun rubbing me the wrong way. At least this album is from when they were still good.

Obituary - Anthology (CD)
I've got a few Obituary albums already, so there are of course a few songs on this compilation that I've got elsewhere, but I'm still missing Slowly We Rot and some later stuff, so having this is a good enough tide-me-over.

Mortiis - Crypt of the Wizard (CD)
Mortiis - The Stargate (CD)
I've been wanting to check out Mortiis for a while, so coming across these two CDs at random was pretty lucky!

Uriah Heep - Very 'Eavy, Very 'Umble (CD)
An absolute classic of early heavy metal history. Everybody knows the smash hit Gypsy, of course, but the rest of the album is a real banger too.

Unkle - Psyence Fiction (CD)
Awesome electronic album for sure. I've actually been wanting this on vinyl, but when I came across it on CD for cheap I had to get it.

Malignancy - Intrauterine Cannibalism (CD)
Found this really cheap, but I only really know the album by the looks and because Roger Beaujard from Mortician played on it. Looking forward to checking it out.

Teleport - Ascendance (CD)
When Teleport played the Mono Goes Metal festival, they stayed the night at my place before heading back to Slovenia. Cool dudes, and they gave me their Ascendance EP as well as a t-shirt.

That's it for this installment. The next segments will come whenever I get new stuff worth posting. Smaller hauls will likely get thrown together for one larger post.


My collection on Discogs

Follow TONEwood on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment